Congratulations to all of you others who knew answers, and to astrogirl2 who got 7/10.
I'm surprised no one got #8 though. The name stuck for me because they named the computer that as Sigourney Weaver was doing the voice and that was the name of the computer on the Nostromo in Alien.
( The questions )The answers
- Joe: first published in the March 1946 issue of Astounding Science Fiction.
- Dr Chandra, from the film 2010.
- Hari Seldon, in Isaac Asimov’s Foundation series.
- Zen. There was also a portable AI with attitude called Orac. The computer on Scorpio was called Slave.
- The Ultimate Computer, written by D C Fontana, episode #53, in season two.
- Hex, created by Ponder Stibbons and some student Wizards in the High Energy Magic building, first appearing in the novel Soul Music.
- The Tomorrow People which first ran between 1973 and 1979.
- Mother, voiced by Sigourney Weaver.
- Earthsearch, written by James Follett, and first broadcast on BBC Radio 4 between January and March 1981.
- Mr Smith, at his core a Xylok, a member of a crystalline race which crashed to Earth as a meteorite some 60 million years ago.
The questions and answers (from a local SF mag) came from the Wiki entry on Computers in Fiction.